News from the British Aggregates Association
01 December 2017
17 November 2017
03 November 2017
20 October 2017
- Good News Slot – SigmaRoc – Congratulations to Max Vermorken and Charles Trigg on the announcement of their latest acquisition Topcrete and Allen Concrete.
13 October 2017
- Good News Slot – Collier Group – congratulations to Duncan Collier and team who entered the readymix business 2 years ago and have just installed a new bespoke 80m3 /hour plant at their Goathill Quarry, Fife
Full page article Quarry Management December 2017
- Geddes Group (QM October) 1.1Mt planning application submitted to extend the life of their Balado Quarry, Nr Kinross
- Finlay Group Aggregate Processing Solutions (QM October)2-page feature article on their provision of a bespoke CDE wash plant for a land restoration company in Oxfordshire.
06 October 2017
29 September 2017
Good News Slot – and congratulations to Tillicoultry on the time extension granted by South Lanarkshire Council at their Ryeflatt sand and gravel quarry until June 2026.
Good News Slot – and congratulations to Skene on the successful extension of working life by allowing deeper working at their Soutra Hill quarry by Scottish Borders Council.
22 September 2017
- BAA hit the Press – Cullimore Group’s 90th Birthday celebrations early September which 350 attended was reported in the local Stroud News.
- Good News Slot - Congratulations to our recent new member SigmaRoc who reported strong first half results last week.
01 September 2017
25 August 2017
- Goods News Slot – Cullimore Group and Moreton cover and feature article in last week’s (17th) Commercial Motor.
18 August 2017
- Good News Slot - G B Finch - Belated congratulations to Lee Finch on his appeal win against refusal of a concrete batching plant at his quarry in Essex, end-May!!
14 August 2017
BAA Members in the recent press:
- Cullimore Group. Above and Beyond…By Moreton Cullimore ; Quarry Management - August 2017 (pp34-36). Ensuring quarry restoration schemes meet UK biodiversity requirements and future-proof business models in a finite industry pdf
- The Cullimore Group highlights restoration within quarrying process ; Aggregates Business Europe - May2017. pdf
- John Wainwright & Co - IQ Skills Wheel: Keep Your Employees Close and Your Communities Closer; Quarry Management - August 2017 (pp11-12). pdf
- Johnston Quarry Group - Regeneration of Great Tew Ironstone Quarry; Quarry Management - August 2017 (pp39). pdf
11 August 2017
28 July 2017
- Good News Slot – Longcliffe Quarries
along with their partners Derbyshire Wildlife Trust and Butterfly Conservation, hosted a very successful Open Day at their new Hoe Grange Quarry nature reserve. The former limestone quarry near Brassington, Derbyshire hosts 26 species of butterflies, including the uncommon Grizzled Skipper and Wall, making it one of the best sites in the county. Over 250 people attended and enjoyed cream teas and ice creams courtesy of BAA member Longcliffe. MD Andy Littler was interviewed by the BBC and appeared on East Midlands Today and Radio Derby.
21 July 2017
- Good News Slot - Derby University - Graduate 2017
Congratulations to the 15 BAA member employees who received awards at the Derby University uplifting awards ceremony last Friday (14th) at the Derby Arena which I attended on behalf of BAA.
Breedon (9), Bullimore (1), Glendinning (1), Kinegar (1), Tillicoultry (1), United Asphalt (1), Wainwright (1).
- Good News Slot – Breedon Group
Congratulations to Breedon Group who have reported a doubling in revenue (to £326M) and a 50% increase in profit (to £31M) in the first half of 2017. It sold 7.9Mt of aggregates in the first half, up from 4.6Mt last year, but asphalt sales were flat at 0.9Mt. Ready-mixed sales rose to 1.7M m3 up from 0.5M m3 in the first half of 2016.
- Good News Slot – Tillicoultry Quarries
takes delivery of its largest Volvo wheel loader to date for use at Northfield Quarry near Falkirk.
07 July 2017
- Good News Slot – Breedon’s Entrepreneurial Path to Success Full 4-page coverage (pp9-15) in Aggregates Business Europe of their success story in recent years and ambitions for the future along with an interview with CEO Pat Ward.
05 July 2017
20 June 2017
09 June 2017
IOQ Triple Whammy for their Quarry Garden at RHS Chatsworth Flower Show (7th-11th)
Still a chance to visit this weekend.
Congratulations to James Thorne and Sarah Fry on the Gold, Best in Show and Best Construction awards at the Show on Tuesday morning (6th), and to BAAs Steve Cole who was on the organising committee.
The exhibit will find a final home at the National Arboretum as a permanent memorial to all miners who have lost their lives over the years.
31 March 2017
- BAA members Hit the Press – Colin Nottage has his latest blog published this week on AggNet – Maintenance and Inspection
24 March 2017
- Congratulations to Charles Hughes and all at Hugh King as the recent winners of the Ayrshire Chamber of Commerce 2017 Business Excellence Award for Manufacturing.
- Raymond Brown - Lorries get a rebrand as business signs up to fleet safety.
- Derbyshire Aggregates – Congratulations to BAA Associate and to Adrian Fewings.
#1 in the 2017 BHP Top 50 survey of the most profitable SMEs in North Derbyshire. (#7 in 2016)
- BAA members Hit the Press – Quarry Design - Game of Drones
17 March 2017
10 March 2017
03 February 2017
- Good news for Harleyford Aggregates and Phil Essex, and for guidance to avoid mineral sterilisation!! Ahead of HS2 they have been granted permission to extract 350Kt of sand and gravel from agricultural land in the Buckinghamshire metropolitan green belt.
- Keeping up with Independent Innovators. 2-page feature article on Glendinnings’ in February Quarry Management
16 December 2016
09 December 2016
- Good News Slot for Harleyford Aggregates and Phil Essex for obtaining an extension to their yellow sand quarry into a wooded area near Newton Abbot, Devon and a revised restoration scheme involving the import of 285Kt of inert waste to restore the site to grassland
02 December 2016
24 November 2016
- Significant Progress in Aggregates Levy Challenge
11 November 2016
John Moore (Tractor Parts)
A very warm welcome to our latest new associate member and to George Duncombe based in Stafford. They are the UKs leading supplier of high quality bucket cutting edge, wear bar, steel plate and general wear parts.
Nature After Minerals (NAM) Programme Manager, Helen BarnardCongratulations again and Helen starts her new job on 5th December.
21 October 2016
- Good News Slot – and Congratulations to BAA member Breedon who scooped the AIM Transaction of the Year Award for their £336M acquisition of Hope Construction Materials - presented by BBC News’ Sophie Raworth to CEO Pat Ward last Thursday (13th).
30 September 2016
BAA Liaison Officer – Trefor Evans
Trefor joins our ranks from October. He is 50, from the Midlands., and has more than 30 years’ experience in the construction materials supply industry including time with RMC, Steetley and Redlands prior to setting up his own aggregates merchanting business in 1991. He started Mirfield Sand and Gravel and ran this as owner operator until closure. He joined BAA as a member, serving on the Executive and Planning Committee, as well as AWP representative.
Trefor was Chairman of the Midlands branch of the IOQ in 2000 and became the youngest FIQ.
In recent years he has specialised in planning matters in the quarrying industry and looks forward to his new role with BAA.
Karsan Ramji & Sons
A very warm welcome to our latest new BAA associate member and to Director, Kishor Varsani. They operate three quarries in Kenya, and are constructing a 700t/d cement plant. They met up with us at Hillhead in June.
23 September 2016
16 September 2016
Good News Slot - Frimstoneopens new rail depot in Cambridge, a 25 year investment to receive Midlands quarried aggregates to service the local construction sector requirements.
Good News slot 2 - Longcliffe Quarries embraces the future with quarry automation system from BAA associate Command Alkon to ensure timely delivery of products whilst reducing the costs of transportation.
02 September 2016
Good News slot - Longcliffe Quarries recently installed a new 70t Metso160 fixed primary jaw crusher. Supply was direct from METSO with installation by Stoke-on Trent quarry engineers Roltech. The project was completed on time and within budget and the crusher is now processing 500tph of limestone, and CSS can be adjusted hydraulically at the push of a button. MD Andy Littler reported, “This was a well-planned & managed accident free exercise which should initially increase throughput by 10%. Well done to all involved including our own guys”.
If any BAA member would like to see the machine in operation they would be very welcome, Contact Andy Littler or Chris Wainwright.
- Good News Slot – Raymond Brown Roke Manor Quarry Nr Romsey – welcomed over 60 visitors from the local community to tour their new state-of-the-art processing plant, enjoy ice creams and the opportunity to sit in an excavator and have their photo taken.
19 August 2016
Good News Slot – BAA Member Yarrows Aggregates have become the 4th business in Yorkshire to join a scheme that aims to raise the bar in the supply of high-quality, accredited materials for the construction and utility sectors.
Congratulations to Raymond Brown Minerals & Recycling on the MBO announced this week.
Also have a look at this 7min video of Raymond Brown Aggregates’ 125Kt/a Roke Manor Quarry.
05 August 2016
- Good News Slot – The 10m high Man Engine ends its 130-mile trek across Cornwall at Geevor Tin Mine in Boscaswell on Saturday (6th)
22 July 2016
01 July 2016
03 June 2016
- Good News Slot – Raymond Browns
welcomes local schoolchildren to their new Hampshire recycling Centre just north of the M27 motorway which processes up to 75,000tpa of non-hazardous commercial and industrial waste.
05 May 2016
22 April 2016
25 March 2016
11 March 2016
26 February 2016
Good News Slot – Two BAA members investing for the future.
Breedon have installed a Terex wash plant to produce a range of aggregates and concrete sand at their multi-disciplined Capo Quarry, near Edzell, Scotland
Cullimores have taken delivery of their first ever super-lightweight alloy body for their trio of new 8x4 tippers in the company’s 50+ HGV fleet.
19 February 2016
12 February 2016
05 February 2016
Good New Slot - Congratulation to Kinegar Quarries on their planning consent from Scottish Borders Council (11th January) for a 30-year extension to their Glenfin Quarry near Cockburnspath with additional consented reserves of +5Mt. Despite initial archaeological officer objections, all 100% of members voted in favour. The Council Chair congratulated Kinegar and the planning team in negotiating agreement on the heritage issues.
29 January 2016
22 January 2016
07 December 2015
04 December 2015
- Good News Slot – and congratulations to Smiths’ of Bletchington who secured planning permission for an extension to their soft sand quarry at Duns Tew in Oxfordshire at a committee meeting on Monday (30th). The application took 4 years from pre-app to decision and had to overcome determined opposition from a small group of local residents - on dust and air quality and alleged observations of great crested newts (GCNs) which had to be resolved with a 2-year licensed trapping programme - no GCNs were found. The permission is for sand extraction and merchanting operations of imported building materials and will extend the life of the quarry for 17 years. The planning work was carried out by BAA associates Heaton Planning.
Just the S106, routeing agreement and potential threat of a JV to sort out
30 October 2015
16 October 2015
- Good News Slot – Smiths of Bletchington. Congratulations on receiving the MPA Planned category award on Wednesday (14th) for their extension to Gill Mill Quarry in West Oxfordshire. The restoration plan includes creation of 120ha of priority habitats, including one of the largest reed beds (60ha) in southern England
- BAA Moves Into Harder Rock
Cloburn Quarry director Paul McManus is presently completing a European tour with rock band GUN and is in England this week – Southampton tonight Friday (16th) and Milton Keynes Saturday. view pdf
09 October 2015
- Good News Slot – Cullimores - Congratulations to Moreton and Roger, not least for perseverance in this lengthy drawn-out (and originally a cross-border) 18ha application to extract some 375Kt over next 3 years near Cirencester with progressive backfill!
- BAA Logo
Members are reminded – and indeed encouraged! – to consider using the BAA logo on their stationery and their websites as many already do. Just ask us for suitable jpeg and pdf copy.
18 September 2015
- 164 - Aggregates Levy - BAA to appeal European Commission decision
20 July 2015
- 163 - Aggregates Association Defends Cartel-Busting Concrete Trucks
09 July 2015
- 162 - BAA Breaks All Attendance Records!
25 June 2015
10 June 2015
02 April 2015
22 October 2014
- 157 - EU Directive Costing Lives
- 156 - BAA Signs up to the campaign for a fundamental reform of the Business Rates System